|Donald Trump leaves White House for last time |
as president, Jan. 20, 2021 | David J. Phillip/AP
A new poll by Quinnipiac University confirms what many polls have shown with a couple of nuances. Former President Donald Trump has overwhelming support among Republican Party identifiers. Trump is the dominant figure in the party, even if not on a visible or official platform today. His endorsements will be especially powerful in the 2022 elections. This poll suggests the Republican Party is Trump subsidiary.
- 66% of Republicans say Trump should run for president. Only 30% say he shouldn’t run.
- 85% say candidates running for elected offices should agree with him. Only 10% say candidates should mostly disagree.
- 66% say President Biden’s win was not legitimate. Only 28% say it was legitimate.
But, there is a problem. The American people – a majority of whom were never sold on Trump (he never got over 50% approval) – say they do not want him to run again, do not prefer candidates who mostly agree with him and believe Biden was legitimately elected.
- 66% of Americans do not want Trump to run again. Only 30% say he should run.
- 39% want candidates who mostly agree with him, 53% don’t
- 64% believe Biden’s win was legitimate, 29% say not legitimate