President Goodluck Jonathan and his PDP (People’s Democratic Party) lost by more than 2.5 million votes to former military dictator (1992) Muhammadu Buhari (APC, All Progressives Congress).
Pre-election polls had considerable variation and Nigerian media outlets like to promote African
soothsayers as much as opinion polls. A couple of credible polls did make clear that the incumbent party faced a very dissatisfied electorate with:
- 74% saying country going in wrong direction (Afrobarometer with Pew Research)
- 86% say corruption very big problem
- 86% crime very big problem
- 81% electrical shortage very big problem
- 72% Islamic extremism very big problem