Friday, January 6, 2017

Princess Leia for Four Decades

It is said the Star Wars franchise does not have fans, but followers. Carrie Fisher, from May of 1977, played the part of Princess Leia, probably the most famous and popular of the original characters, with considerable aplomb and good humor for 39 years. She was 19 years old in the original movie.

Her introduction to what became the greatest movie franchise in history was as a hologram projected by a scruffy little droid, R2D2. “Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.”

LEIA
General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father’s request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack and I’m afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit. My father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid safely delivered to him on Alderaan. This is our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope.


No comments: