If you want to really know what a professional diplomat thinks about Iraq, read this interview.
- The collapse of the Iraqi army. “The Shia weren’t going to fight for Sunni land.”
- The surge. “Oversold.”
- Leaving troops in Iraq after 2011. “But the Iraqis didn’t want it and Obama eventually said ‘ok, it’s your country.’”
- Wolfowitz, Bolton. “Neocons.” “One of the most disgraceful performances by a foreign policy class in America.”
- Negotiating with North Korea. Proud of changing U.S. reputation in Asia “as a result of our Six-Party process.”
- Bombing in the Balkans. “I thought it was a bad idea whose time had come.”